Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Whatever happened to Dick and Jane?

The Princess started in Junior Kindergarten this year. Thanks to an incredibly wonderful preschool she already knew all of her letters by sight, and most of their sounds. Her JK teacher is great. She's young and very enthusiastic, and is taking the kids through the Jolly Phonics program. For those of you uninitiated into the joys of the jolly world, it is a program from England that teaches the 42 most common sounds in the English language by telling a little story and adding an action for each sound to help the kids remember it. S, for instance, is sssss for Sammy the Snake, and involves some wriggling arm movements. N, is nnnnnn for nosedive and the kids hold their arms aloft like airplanes soaring through the air. Reading has never been so dangerous.

The princess loves this stuff, and we spend a lot of time in our house sounding out words on boxes, asking what is the first sound in baby? In cookie? In dog? And so on. And on. And on. She is also very interested in trying to write letters and words. Over and over, we write out letters for her to trace and copy.

So, as Hubs and I were doing a bit of planning for a dinner party we're having Saturday night, the Princess came along with a pad and pen and offered to make us a list. She did her usual scribbled list, and then asked us for some words to trace and copy. I left Hubs to it and went to putter in the kitchen.

And that is how I came to find the following sitting on the coffee table, all ready for Friday's shopping trip:

Beer and Lemons. This is SO going in the scrapbook!

* * * * *

And, talking about Rainbow Days, I found links to my little blog on TWO of the fabulous blogs I like to read regularly! So let's all go and tell Karen and Jennifer that they're talented and pretty!
Thanks for making my day.

OH - and Blogger tried it's little trick of deleting all the spaces between my paragraphs again. Thanks Veronica for your tip about the <>! I bow to you, Queen of Blogginess!

9 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Priceless. Beer and lemon. She is all set, then :)

Sorry about the linkage. Sometimes, I forget to add. Will do so now!

Heidi :)

Karen MEG said...

Gee, beer and lemons; Cerveza por favor?
That is hilarious! Sounds like a great school BTW.
And big hugs for the linky love!

Be Inspired Always said...

Sounds like a great school.



Jillian

Rebecca said...

I have a shopping list that Julia wrote at about the same age. Always thought it was cute. But now that I've seen the beer and lemons list, I know we've got nothing in comparison. This is a total keeper!

Anonymous said...

Ha ha!

mighty morphing mom said...

Really what else do you need?! Love the list, so cute. I have to check out that phonics program, I keep meaning to work on that with my almost 4 year old.
btw, thanks for checking in on me and my word count, I am at around 7000, I gotta get busy tonight!
Kristen

Veronica Foale said...

Her writing is great! Beer and lemons! Gotta love it.

Glad the <> worked for you. I only know very basic HTML but the stuff I know is useful.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

So adorable. If one day I have a daughter and she's not the writey bookwormy type, I'm going to be dealing with some serious disappointment. :(

JChevais said...

Beer and lemons?... the kid has definitely got the class I dig.