Friday, November 23, 2007

French Kiss

The Princess really wants to learn French. It started when I bought her some 'Days of the Week' underwear from Joe Fresh that have the days in French and English. Every morning we have to choose the right pair, and sound out the word in both languages. Her accent is actually pretty good, I melt every time she says "Dimanche".

My French is really rusty, but I can still read it, and although it would have to be a very slow and stilted conversation, I can speak enough to get by. Hubs is terrible. He stopped studying it as soon as he was able, and his accent is....atrocious. The man thinks it's funny to say "Frapper la rue!" (Literally, hit the road - but the expression doesn't translate.) When we go to Quebec and he tries to converse, the locals all cringe and switch quickly to English.

Last night when I was washing dishes, I overheard the Princess ask her Dad to teach her something in French. I was horrified to hear him start singing, "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir!"

Gah! I ran into the living-room. "What's wrong with you! Don't teach her that!"

Hubs looked completely non-plussed. "What? It just means kiss me."

"No, babe, it doesn't!"

"But I thought....well, what does it mean, then?"

"Well, literally, coucher is 'to lie down' but it means...."

"OH! Shit....sorry!"

"Mommy, I want Daddy to sing me the song!"

"Daddy is a terrible singer, and he forgets the words. Let's sing Alouette...."

"Oh, ok."

Oh! Shit....sorry! indeed.

13 comments:

Kellan said...

These men - what are we going to do with them?! That was so funny! Take care. Kellan

Lotus (Sarcastic Mom) said...

LMAO

Very nice. At least he is well intentioned? That's gotta count for something. ;-)


I saw you mention on Dawn's page that you're thinking of posting pictures this weekend... if you want to do that by way of joining in on my Weekly Winners, I'd love it! :-)

More info: Weekly Winners Info

Last week's edition:
WW Nov. 11th - 17th

Hope you'll join us! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Trop drĂ´le!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Nice. So flippin' funny!
My husband delights in either speaking in a terrible French accent or speaking French in the worst accent ever (all 6 words he remembers) not at all helpful:)

shay said...

That is too funny! HA HA!
My French is terrible too and I had no idea that is what that means.....

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I don't know much French but that is funny.
She is cute to want to know her French.

Karen MEG said...

That is hilarious! It's amazing how quickly children pick up another language. Liam's started having it three times a week now and loves it. Little G still loves to watch her DVD's in French, even though she calls it English LOL!

Gina said...

Ha!

I think it is men's DNA to always sing inappropriate lyrics to their offspring.

And then look at you and go "Wha..?" when you tell them to stop.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I can just imagine the face of the French teacher the first time she pulls that phrase out after starting classes.

JChevais said...

"se coucher" means "to lie down".

If you leave the "se" off (meaning that it doesn't apply exclusively to you) then it means doing the horizontal tango.

Your husband must be thinking of the word Baiser (which means kiss, but depending on the context it might also mean the horizontal tango)

French is such a weird language... ;-).

BTW: what's quebec like? Hubs is dropping hints on cutting our losses in France and making a stab at Quebec, but that sort of freaks me the freak out. Twice in one week he's mentioned it but then he's given to being spontaneous. I told him that it would take him 18 months to get papers... so we'll see...

Badness Jones said...

Jen - Hubs wasn't thinking of anything but the song....he doesn't really know any French...thanks for the lesson, I told you it had been a long time since I'd conjugated any verbs! I like Quebec for holidays, both Montreal and Quebec City have great culture, dining and nightlife....but the politics? Quebec is the only province with subsidized $5 a day daycare....

JChevais said...

I guess that means that I could totally pop out another... ;-)

You make Quebec sound really cool. Hmm...

tesilein said...

That is too funny! My husband got around Germany saying "nein sprekken deutsch" (phonetic spelling here) and was pretty proud of himself. I cringed too.