Tuesday, November 13, 2007

NaBloPoMo Filler....

Well, Hubs would tell you that it's not possible, but I feel like I don't have anything to say. My kids have left me without any fresh material. Brats. Even Hubs has been well behaved this morning, actually getting out of bed before me, so I can't bitch about that. Jerk. I signed up for this NaBloPoHo thing though, so I feel obliged to see it through and post something....

Do you want to see some of my work? I have half an art degree, and a diploma in Interior Design. I love to draw and paint, but since I can't stand to be interrupted while creating, I haven't done much since the babes were born. (Bit of an understatement there, when interrupted I can make the Wicked Witch of the West look like Grandma!)

I did get a chance to teach art for a week this summer to a group of kids 5 - 14. The Princess's ballet teacher runs the camp and she mentioned to me that her Art teacher had quit. In a moment of either inspiration or insanity I volunteered. I had never taught before. The theme of the camp this year was Japan, something I know almost naught about. It was a challenge to do the research, and try some techniques I hadn't used. A real challenge. Japanese art is detailed and intricate and meticulous - I am more of a slapdash instant gratification type girl. I tend to destroy any project that requires patience!

The best part, for me, was designing and overseeing a huge mural that was used as the backdrop for the kids play and was eventually installed in the Kindergarten playground of a local elementary school. I had huge half scale mock-ups taped up all over my hallway and living room walls where I could sketch and scribble ideas as they came to me while holding Badness in my other arm. The challenge was that I wasn't painting it all myself - I had to find ways 35 kids could contribute. I had to use exterior latex paint so that it would withstand the elements and there wasn't a lot of time in the program allotted to the mural. I think it turned out amazing - the kids were fabulous. What do you think?

SummerStage Arts Camp 2007 - Mural at Alliston Union

11 comments:

Family Adventure said...

It's beautiful! And happy! I needed happy today!

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Omg that is awesome I love it! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous! I wish I were even half that talented.

Badness Jones said...

Well I didn't have anything to say...and then I thought of something and got started...and then I couldn't shut myself up, which is usually what happens, so yes, I'm a LIAR.... :)

Veronica Foale said...

It looks amazing!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

What a wonderful piece of art. Knowing that the children contributed makes it all that much richer to look at.

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Wow! I absolutely adore the mural, so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Very cool mural! And I think that this post was more than just filler.

Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh it's so pretty.

ANd I agree with Jennster. :)

Shit if you want to see, nothing to say, you should visit me. Or you shouldn't, cause I've got nothing to say. Then again, I'd never sign up for SEESPOTPEE for that exact reason.

chichimama said...

That is fabulous!!!!

And seriously? This is a LONG post. Not filler at all!

Karen MEG said...

That is a gorgeous mural. You've got talent for art and not just words. THanks for sharing that!