Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Saving the Badass from a Fat Ass

So I was reading Shay's posts about running, and how proud she is of keeping at it (and you should be girl! You go! You inspire me!) and it made me realize how much I miss the days when I ran. When I could say I was a runner. I never ran races, not my thing, but 4 or 5 days a week I would lace up my shoes and run for at least an hour. I ran by myself, I ran with friends, I ran with our dog. I could sprint up the 100+ stairs from Davenport road to Casa Loma and not have to stop and rest. These days the stairs in my house sometimes leave me winded. (Well, I'm sometimes carrying the combined 60+ pounds of my kids up them!)

I haven't ran since I was a few weeks pregnant with Badness. I haven't run regularly since I was a few weeks pregnant with the Princess. It's funny how you get into and out of the groove. My favourite time to run is first thing in the morning. That's when I had the energy, the time, the motivation. By the end of the day, my motivation is for the sofa. During my pregnancy with the Princess I was violently ill every single morning (and afternoon, and evening) for 27 weeks. When it passed I walked, but I was too big and out of shape to run.

I miss it. I read Shay's post on Sunday and decided it was time to do it. (Flu be damned.) I ran upstairs to dig out some sweats and was immediately foiled - none of my long neglected sports bras were up to the task of supporting my still-nursing breasts. But I laced up my shoes anyway. I took the dog, took a begging Princess (in the stroller so she couldn't slow me down - this was for ME), and I walked. I walked with long, fast strides. I walked until my heart was beating loud and fast, walked until my muscles burned and my lungs were filling deep with cold, clean air. I walked until my mind cleared and my spirits lifted.

I'm going to walk again today after dropping the Princess at school and Badness at a sitter. And then I will go buy new gear. Tomorrow I will run. It has been a long time, and it won't be pretty. I will probably have to start with walking a minute, running a minute like at my first running clinic - but I will run.

This badass will be a fat ass no more. Thanks Shay.

12 comments:

Family Adventure said...

That's awesome! I wish I could run here, too, but it's too darn icy everywhere. Too dangerous. I think it'll have to wait until the spring. In the meantime, I will live vicariously through you.

Heidi

shay said...

WaaaHooooo! I'm so proud of you!
I actually think power walking is just as good as running but it takes too much time for me to do it.

Thanks for being so sweet about me. Glad to hear you're feeling so inspired! I hope you don't mind if I put a link to your blog on mine.

Jennifer said...

Yay for you! After a nearly two year "break" (*ahem*, hee) from regular work outs, I started up again about a year ago. I run on my treadmill in the mornings before my kids are up. It's too early for me and I hate that, but it's so worth it. Not even for the ass-reducing benefits (ha!) but for the "doing something that feels good for me" time. Better than therapy. Go, you!

Kellan said...

Good for you. I'm not a runner or a walker - I don't want to run or even walk anywhere. I wish I did - I need too and it is so good for you - but I just don't want too. I always try to find the parking space right up close to the door of any store, just so I don't have to walk. I think it's because we used to live in Germany and my mom had us walking EVERYWHERE - to visit every castle, church, museum ... that's my excuse anyway. Good for you - you go girl. Take care. Kellan

Suzanne said...

I'm not a runner, but I miss exercising like I did before the kids were born. Maybe I can take a piece of that inspiration you've found!

painted maypole said...

good for you!

Skiplovey said...

That's awesome! I just joined a gym that has daycare so I can really exercise for the first time in nearly seven months. It's crazy how quickly you get out of the groove. The first fifteen minutes on the treadmill were pure pain but it's getting better now. So glad to be back in the swing of it.

Victoria said...

Run, Badass, Run! I need to get my fat ass moving too. I've somehow turned into a sloth. Yuck.

Good for you! Maybe you're inspiration will inspire me! =)

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Proud of ya!!!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Woohoo! Good for you babe! K, I totally have to get my ass in gear here, I keep starting and stopping. I spent part of the summer at the beach with Shay and her super runner beach body. You think that would be motivation enough to start and stick with it.
As soon as my book is done at the end of the week it is off to the gym with this fat ass:)

Veronica Foale said...

I always feel amazing when I go for a good walk. Unfortunately our driveway (200m long) has just had new gravel put down and I can't get the pram down it without going sideways. Ugh.

Karen MEG said...

Good for you! I wish I could run, but alas, I lack all sorts of endurance for that sort of thing. I tried out for cross-country as a teenager and almost coughed up a lung after running around the block training.
Good luck with it!