Friday, November 9, 2007

Eunice

I had this friend from high school. Let's call her Eunice - I think we can all see where this is going. (If any of you are really named Eunice, I'm really sorry. Take it up with your parents.) We stayed close for a few years through university and she was a bridesmaid at my wedding, but ultimately the friendship fell apart.

It was partly my fault, I went through a severe bout of depression, I was in denial about it and I let a lot of acquaintances slide. I did have a lot of true friends waiting for me at the other side of that tunnel though. Eunice was a very beautiful girl - but not the kind of beautiful that generally attracts high school boys. Or college boys. I think she was really worried that she'd never find anyone. I guess 22 seems old, when you're 22. Near the end of our friendship she started dating a rich older guy. We can call him Richard. Richie-Rich. Let's just go with Dick.

Dick kind of called the shots in their relationship - at least in the beginning, when I knew him. I tried to make an effort with Dick. Hubs and I invited them over for dinner, and they arrived over an hour and a half late. Eunice had the grace to be embarrassed. We re-heated the meal, and opened some wine. In the end Dick drank every bottle of wine we had in the house. While subtly insulting our house. The little bungalow we'd just bought off the Danforth - our first house, which we were very excited about. Hubs and I brushed it off. We were happy with our lives. We didn't even begrudge him the wine - whatever we have we share with guests. At least, we didn't mind until Eunice invited us to Dick's house for dinner and when Eunice went to open a second bottle of wine he took it out of her hand, put it back in his wine fridge, and brought out an old bottle of home brew that he'd been given for Christmas. Four years earlier, according to the label. It was off.

Anyway, we don't need to go through the whole sad tale to see how it turned out. I'm only bringing this up because a week or so ago as I was reading comments on a blog I follow, I saw an interesting one. I clicked on the URL and read through her last few posts. And I felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach - because there was a photo of the blogger with Eunice, along with the caption "Does my haircut make my friend Eunice's boobs look big?".

I thought about commenting "Hey, tell Eunice I said hi!". Ok, I really thought about commenting, "Eunice has always wasted too much time worrying about the size of her boobs, when her real problem is the size of her ass." I might have done it, but I haven't managed to get my own ass into pre-preggo jeans yet.

It's a small world Eunice. If you come across this post I hope that you're happy somewhere with your Dick. And I hope that a girlfriend never gives up on you, like you did me. Because I don't think about you often but when I do it still hurts.

7 comments:

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Wow. I have a Eunice too, she was my very best friend for all my growing up years.
I too went through depression after I had my first child (and second) and lost touch with my friends. I think she thought I was a snob because I was married first. But really the phone felt like it was made of lead and had become mine enemy.
She found me on facebook the other day. It has been strange but good.
I am sorry for your pain.

chichimama said...

Isn't it odd how blog life and real life intersect.

Sounds like a tough relationship. And it sounds like you're doing fine, despite the lingering pain...

Family Adventure said...

It's funny how things from the past can still hurt. You think you're over it, and then...it all comes back to you.
But the good thing is, it doesn't last as long, and the pain is not quite as severe. I bet it did a world of good to write this post. To call her Eunice. And him Dick. Loved that :)
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I have a Eunice too. The story isn't quite the same, but similar enough. People always recognize how much romantic break ups hurt, but getting friendship dumped sucks just as bad.
I hope this post helped to get it off your chest somewhat.

Jezer said...

While I have the not-Eunice that you read about, I also have a Eunice. The mixture of both tender and bitter feelings about a failed friendship can weigh a heart down at times. Snark is most certainly the best medicine, though.

Victoria said...

I'm sorry about the lost friendship.

Thanks for visiting my way. I'm enjoying your writing.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I SOOOOO would have commented. Do it.

Or send me the link. I'll do it.

I'm that way. :) (Not really, I "talk" a big game. Or I guess I "blog" a big game.)