Monday, November 5, 2007

Rainbow Days

A friend of my mom's used to yell "Have a Rainbow Day!" out the door at her kids every morning as they ran to catch the school bus. I'd quite often say it, rather facetiously, to Hubs, as he left for work. Once the princess started talking, she picked it up and will now say it to anyone leaving the house, or dropping her at school, with complete sincerity. It has become part of the internal language of our family.

Yesterday I had a rainbow day. Literally and figuratively. While driving with the kids I spotted a rainbow out the window. A big, fat, bright rainbow like I haven't seen in years. "Hey Princess, look out your window."

"I see it Mommy! I do see it! A magic rainbow!" She was clapping she was so excited. I'm surprised I didn't put the car in the ditch I spent so long looking at the joy on her face in my rearview mirror.

That may be my favourite thing about parenthood - the gift of seeing all the magic and wonder in the world again, through my children's eyes.

Have a rainbow day everyone.

5 comments:

Family Adventure said...

How great is that! A magic rainbow.
She's already got a good imagination. Too sweet!

Heidi

Karen MEG said...

My kids love rainbows too. As do I, there's something really magical about them.
Hope you have a rainbow day too!

painted maypole said...

that is my favorite part of being a parent too. That, and all the hugs and kisses.

Veronica Foale said...

I love this! I think I'm going to start saying it :)

Steph said...

That is so sweet. Re-discovering the world through our childrens' eyes is the best.

Thanks for your comment on my blog recently.. I'll be back to visit yours! :)