Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Liar, Liar

While commenting on yesterday's post, Jennster called me a liar. I laughed out loud - thanks for that. It got me thinking though, I lie sometimes. Of course I do. I lie to the dentist: "Yes, I floss twice everyday." To the doctor, "Only one alcoholic drink a week, and I work out ALL the time." I lie to acquaintances: "Your new haircut looks great!" I lie to my kids: "No, the cookies are all gone. Sorry guys." (Really, the cookies are hidden for after you finally go to bed.) I lie to Hubs, "I've just got the WORST headache, baby."

The lie I tell most often though, is to my dog. Sorry Sally. It all started innocently enough. Sally doesn't like to come in from the back yard. She feigns deafness when I open up the door and call her. Sometimes I can lure her in with a cookie, but even that doesn't always work. So one day, I was cooking breakfast and I wanted Sally to come in and I opened up the door and called "Sally! Sally!" Nothing. "Sally! Cookie!" Nothing. "Sally! We're having BACON" Within 2 seconds I had 70 pounds of excited and obedient dog through the door, kissing my feet, and ready to do my bidding.

The next morning when I wanted her to come in before I took the Princess to school I called again. "Sally! Sally!" Nothing. "Sally! Cookie!" Nothing. "Sally! We've got.......BACON!" 70 pounds of excited and obedient dog, sitting at my feet. Hubs was scandalised. "Don't lie to my dog! That's mean! How can you do that?!"

"Well, it works. That's how" And as long as it continues to work, I will continue to lie to the dog. I mean, I don't have bacon, but I do give her the cookie. For some reason she falls for it, over and over again. Once in a while, I do give her bacon - just to keep her guessing.

Now dish - what lies do you tell?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I floss twice a day too.

Also, I lie and say I have plans, when I really just want an evening alone with my TIVO.

That's all I'm admitting to int he moment. :)

j.sterling said...

i never lie..i am perfect. BWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

um.. i think i white lie mostly to blake.. but it's for his own good dammit.

Veronica Foale said...

I tell my spouse that 'of course I will be happy to have your parents come and visit'.

Uh NOT!!!

Beck said...

Poor Sally. And I too only have one drink a week and FLOSS NON-STOP!

Suzanne said...

I have to admit that I just might have told one of those lies to people I know. Or perhaps all of them. So much for my reputation as honest and forthright!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

I am totally giggling at you lying to your dog! Hilarious!
I may have told my children that their halloween candy was all gone, when I was really just sick of finding wrappers all over my house, and had scooped a few treats for me;)

Anonymous said...

I'm not addicted to chocolate.

Victoria said...

I tell my kids that I *love* their artwork, and my Husband that I "just took the puppy out so I don't know why she peed on the foyer...". Honest.