Monday, December 17, 2007

Will somebody get me a kleenex?

The Princess is upstairs playing with a little girl from school....it's her first ever playdate with a school friend. It's her first ever playdate with another girl her age. She plays with my niece and god-daughter, but they're both a couple of years older, and all of my friend's kids are boys. The Princess calls them 'her boys', and she loves them dearly, but there is something different in this friendship she is developing with another girl. This friendship that she has made on her own, at school, away from my eyes and without my help.

My daughter is shy and cautious, the crazy drama queen that lives inside her takes a while to come out to play. When I first went back to work when she was one, I sent her to a home daycare. After a couple of months the Princess started to cry as soon as she saw me dressed in work clothes. I tried to talk to her caregiver about why she was suddenly unhappy, and was told that my baby was anti-social. Needless to say, the Princess wasn't there much longer. That barb stuck in my head though, and I worry more than I should about how she's faring socially. I know that she loves school, that children come up to us at the park and around town and cry "Hi Regan!". That should be reassurance enough that she is fine, but I find I want more.

I'm listening to their little girl voices whispering and giggling as they try on princess dresses and jewels, and I've got tears in my eyes! The princess is so sweet, and so big. She took her friend by the hand when she arrived, and showed her around the house. She said "Sal is my dog, don't worry, she likes kids." When did this happen? When did she stop being a baby? I am so proud of the person she is becoming....who knew a playdate could make me this happy?

18 comments:

Unknown said...

So sweet. It is hard to see them grow up- my baby girl is nine and when i see hints of a young me in her it absolutely frightens me. Probably why I am harder on her than the boy. Enjoy your precious time now.

Don Mills Diva said...

It sounds just darling. I can't wait til Graham is doing stuff like that on the one hand, but on the other I don't want him to grow up!

Kellan said...

How sweet - she is quite the little social butterfly now, isn't shee - how sweet. See you soon. Kellan

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

Oh how sweet!

Family Adventure said...

Yeah for Regan!

I understand your angst about your kid(s)' social skills. I have had sleepless nights, agonizing over it. Much of it self-induced, but still...

So glad she's doing awesome!

Heidi :)

LoriD said...

Too cute. I still have a hard time accepting that there's this whole world at school that I don't really know much about.

My daughter is a completely different person at home and with her friends than she is at school. At school they can hardly get her to talk; at home, we can't get her to stop talking!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, she likes kids....too cute. They do grow up so dam fast. But 4 is still little, I promise. :)

Suzanne said...

I love to observe my kids playing with other children -- I see a glimpse of them in their own world, not mine.

Heidi Hyde said...

Aw- what a sweet girl. And a lovely post. Nicely done.

-HH

Skiplovey said...

That's so cute. Happens fast huh? She sounds like a great kid. You're one lucky mama.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

What a fabulous story! :) That is a great memory for you to keep and share with her years down the road.

Steph said...

They grow up so fast! I love watching mine play with their friends, too.

Mrs. G. said...

She just needed the "right" social situation to bloom. Nobody knows your kid better than you. Take all "expert" advice with a grain of salt.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

that is just the sweetest story.

shay said...

I know exactly how you feel!
It's amazing to me to see them take on their own lives. I can imagine the adults they will eventually become and it makes me teary too!

Jennifer said...

Oh, so sweet. It's amazing to watch them grow into themselves, isn't it? And I love little girl giggles. :)

Karen MEG said...

Awww, that is so sweet, I love little girlie playdates! It's amazing to see the socializing and mothering, really, starting at such a young age.
I so hate labels, how could Princess be classified as 'anti-social" - what hogwash! She's a sweetheart, just needed the right environment and friend to bring that out in her. You must be so proud of her!

Laural Dawn said...

Adorable.
My son has his first "best friend" and I couldn't be happier. I worry about the social stuff too. it's a little unfounded, I know, but I worry.