My sister and her family came up on Saturday, and we all went out to Drysdale's to get our Christmas trees. They bought themselves a lovely big SUV to celebrate the birth of their baby in the spring, and I must say that Hubs and I have found it very useful for buying furniture. Even better, our tree fit in it, so we didn't have to move any child seats and now they can spend the next four months vaccuuming needles instead of us! (Hi, and thanks again guys, you lurkers!)
Hubs protests more every year. He feels that the number of ornaments we have is getting out of hand. I used to do a more restrained, 'designer' tree - but as a child I loved the colour and tackiness of it all, and since the Princess was born I've let the decorating take on a more and more 'Who-ville' type vibe.
October, November and December one year,
and finally purchased for 75% off in February.
Disco balls, and colourful flocked baubles from Ikea.
There are also many special ornaments Hubs and I bought on our travels before we had children. Even more precious because we haven't travelled much since the kids were born!
Including a blown glass coke bottle from Las Vegas,
and a fisherman from our honeymoon in PEI.
We always give the princess an ornament on the day we get the tree, and have started to do the same for Bad. This year, she knew what to anticipate, and was so excited to pull all her ornaments from the box, and delighted to open her new one.
This is the special ornament from the Princess's first Christmas.
There's Humpty-Dumpty, that I bought at Harrod's
and gave her when she was two.
and this year, another frog prince.

This is what we gave the Boy last year, when he was 4 days old,
and this year.

Waiting for the tree to defrost was terrible, so we baked some cookie ornaments
to make the house smell spicy and sweet.
Waiting for the tree to defrost was terrible, so we baked some cookie ornaments
to make the house smell spicy and sweet.
there are ornaments from my childhood,
We couldn't forget the candy-cane!
18 comments:
How beautiful! I love them all, and I especially love how you're getting a new one every year for your children. Special memories for them, and you as well. You're a great mom.
We've got to get the tree up,maybe tonight. I'd love to do the real thing, but don't have the time this year, so ye olde artificial one will have to do.
Lovely post! I have tons of ornaments, too. I couldn't imagine not using them all! They all have memories, even the ugly ones. :) There is one particular ornament that my husband made the first year we were together. I was making a bunch of ornaments and said that he needed to make at least one. I'll see if I have a picture of the Santa he made. It is the sorriest, saddest Santa ever. But it hangs in the back of our tree EVERY YEAR. Tradition. Gotta do it.
What a beautiful tree! I love trees decorated with ornaments that have special meaning. Designer trees are lovely to look at, but mementos make the best trees.
Wow! I adore your ornaments, thank you so much for sharing some of yours and their stories! So wonderful!
Our tree has the same thing going on and I love it. yours is beautiful! I started buying my hubby a heart ornament every year and putting it in his stocking. I LOVE the idea of getting the kids one each year - especially since O got a huge kick out of putting his ornaments up this year - i'm totally stealing that idea
Badness!
I love your tree. What an amazing tradition with the ornaments! I think I may want to start that. I also covet your tree topper! I saw one this weekend on my girls trip that I wish I could have.
I think I may have to splurge on some ornaments now that we celebrate our our house instead of my mom's. thanks for the great pictures!
What a wonderful homage to family -- your own immediate family, your travels together, and also extended family through the ornaments from both your and yor husband's childhood.
I like how you make the decorating a special event for the kids by giving them each an ornament each year. That is a lovely idea I haven't heard of before.
And the tree really looks gorgeous - and family friendly :)
Heidi
Beautiful.
Each of my ornaments have a special memory too.
Now if I could only remember where I packed my christmas tree.
Fantastic! I also used to be a designer tree type. Now, the more eclectic the better! We have lots of speial ornaments too, I think I will do a post about them too, what a great idea! Thanks!
Ooo, I do the tree the same way! A big jumble of assorted lovelies! I can't stop buying them. Every year I think, "She can't take anymore, Captain!" but then there's always room.
If hubs really starts to complain then you ca threaten him with those silver icicle things....
You have so many nice ornaments, with so many cool stories attached to them. Beautiful tree. Take care.
I LOVE the tree topper! And all the ornaments, but the tree toper is totally worth coveting. Now I will covet it...
Its amazing. In my last marriage I insisted upon the "designer" tree - white lights, matching ornaments of silver, and blue. That's it.
Now, with new hubby, he asked for a tree with colored lights and a mix-match of ornaments. It's more like the tree I had growing up.
It's more like home.
More like a family.
Sigh...thanks for sharing your tree with us.
It looks fantastic! The memories it holds are all that really matter, who cares if your tree falls over due to the weight of the decorations.
I love Xmas decorations.
Aw - such pretty baubles and memories you have! Love the photos - wonderful tree!!
love this trip through your ornaments. I love the stories ours tell, too. we just bought our tree today!
OMG! Where did you get that gorgeous tree topper?
Post a Comment