Thursday, December 13, 2007

Better than a Lump of Coal

Everyone is making their lists for Santa now, but there is a very good chance that there will be nothing under the tree with my name on it. Hubs hates to shop. I'm almost convinced that he married me for my shopping prowess. I buy and wrap for the kids, his family, my family, our friend's kids, the Princess's teachers, the next door neighbours.....am I forgetting anyone?

Hubs just has to buy for me, and, at his request, I make him a list complete with the store addresses and websites. He leaves it to the last minute and I either get handed the gift still in the store's carrier bag, or get nothing at all.

However, on the rare occasions that Hubs decides to put his heart into giving.....wow. The first year that we were together Hubs went to Tremblant skiing with his friends on Valentine's Day. He offered to cancel his trip when he realized what he'd done, but I told him not to be stupid. I could handle Valentine's Day alone. The day he got back he called me and asked me to come to his house for dinner....and to bring a swimsuit. (I was like, wtf?) When I got there he'd taken a big roll of paper and covered the walls, and drawn palm trees all over them. He'd made a beach (with sand!!) on the floor, and a fire so that it was toasty warm. He was playing island music and he had the yummiest picnic for me....with champagne! How fast can you say "forgiven"?

The next year I was stressed out at college, with projects piled on every surface in my apartment, and a full-time job besides. Hubs waited until I finished school for Christmas break, and then he arranged with my employer for me to get the time off so he could surprise me with a trip to the Bahamas! His plan was to pack my bags for me and just drive us to the airport, but (thankfully!) he lost his nerve when confronted with my wardrobe and he gave me 24 hours notice to pack. In my panic to get ready and look stunning, I purchased a gorgeous pair of Armani sunglasses for almost $400. I really couldn't afford them...but they're still in my glovebox and I smile everytime I see them.

When I found out that I was expecting the Princess I was driving a little two-seater Honda CRX. Hubs had a Civic that he hated because it was too boring. Hubs is a car guy. I was more than happy to take the Civic and let him buy a new car, all I wanted was a back seat, a cup holder, and power steering! Hubs started shopping. Car shopping, he likes. He must have test driven 25 cars. One day he called me at work and told me to stop at the Mazda dealership on the way home....he's bought me the brand new car I liked. He drove the car he hated for three more years.

I spent the last month of my pregnancy with the Princess dropping hints about jewellery. I really wanted something from Tiffany's. There was no way Hubs was going to go to Tiffany's, I mean, it's downtown for one! He did buy me a very pretty silver locket. I guess I could moan and complain about the gifts I won't get this year, but I choose to be grateful instead. For the very precious gifts I've already been given.

13 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

What a sweet guy.

It has taken my years to train Pete to wrap my gifts. And, since I start talking about Christmas shopping in October, he's now started thinking about my gifts by about Thanksgiving. It's taken almost 20 years to get to this point, but we're making progress.

Don Mills Diva said...

He sounds like a wonderful guy. The "island vacation" set-up? Darling. Things like that make up for a lot.

Peggy Sez.. said...

Sounds like you got yourself a "keeper" ;)

shay said...

Aw. That's pretty awesome! Both his gifts and your responses to his lack of gifts. Most days I'm gracious but sometimes on the actual day, after loads of hints, I'm not so good about it. (I'm the shopper over here too.)

We usually spend Christmas with my mom and dad or I'd have a pretty sad and sorry stocking.

I've even had to make my own birthday cake but that's a story for another day lol.

Cars and electronics. The two things guys will actually shop for:)

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Sometimes they just get it right, don't they? My dh definitely goes back and forth, but he too has given me my favourite gifts!

Family Adventure said...

Bad, we take the bad with the good, and your hubs has definitely done some good over the years. Wow - the post Tremblant date sounds amazing.

And, for what it's worth, Mike is exactly the same when it comes to Xmas gifts. He only has one gift to get, but listening to him, you'd swear he was shopping for the entire nation. *snicker*.

Heidi :)

dawn224 said...

I'm pretty sure you can shop Tiffany online.... :)

Kellan said...

WOW what a great story - he is a keeper, that's for sure! I love all those sweet stories. See you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. My partner does that as well. He is not a big romantic. One day i asked him why and he relpied with:

'I don't know how'

*followed by a smirk*

I forgave.

When we first met I bought him a card for Valentines day and some chocolate. I then found out that he doesn't like chocolate. I was a little upset because I hadn't received anything in return, but didn't say anything.

He arrived home that night with a big bunch of flowers. I showered him with kisses and cuddles. Then I asked him where they came from.

They came from the bottleshop when he stopped to buy beer.

So even though they go about it in a strange way, they do really love us. They try their hardest, and it's beautiful to see.

Mrs. G. said...

I heart Hubs. I'd cut him slack in the gift department for sure. The Bahamas? Sigh.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

awwwwww........what a sweetie.

If he has a few minutes, have him send Mark a few tips, ok?

painted maypole said...

it sounds like your hubby doesn't like the traditonal gift giving occasions, but when he is moved to give you a gift it is inspired! which is really what gift giving should be about, not obligation, but out of a desire to GIVE something special to someone

so ultimately, i think he has it right.

Karen MEG said...

Hubby is a sweet one, that's for sure. That's a very pretty locket!
Bahamas, super-sweet!
Guys hate to shop, that's one basic commonality. But for the big events, Ian usually hits a homerun.. and lucky for him. I've been dropping major hints about my gift this year (as in "I'd like a laptop this year")... makes it a bit easier for him LOL!