Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Badness Jones' Emporium of Baked Delights....

My tummy hurt last night. After two days of baking and eating and cooking and eating and presents and eating and laughing and visiting and eating and eating and eating, I felt like my stomach was full of lead weights. I woke up this morning still full.

It was a wonderful Christmas. Santa came and spoiled my children. The expressions on their faces were priceless as they madly tore the paper off their gifts. I cooked a turkey dinner with all the trimmings for Hubs' family on Christmas Eve, and was in charge of dessert at my sister's house on Christmas day, so it felt like a bakeshop in here on the morning of the 24th.


Double Espresso Chocolate Torte

Apple Pie and Pecan Pie


Everything turned out wonderfully - I used orange juice as the liquid in the pastry, but I also used butter instead of shortening, and it was hell to work with. I'm giving you the recipe for the chocolate torte, because it was impressive and delicious, but also ridiculously easy and low effort.


On the Twenty's Signature Double Espresso Chocolate Torte

500g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (they recommend Callebaut, and that would probably make it even better, but I just used the extra-dark bars from President's Choice and it was still fabulous)

1 1/3 c. whipping cream

3/4 c. unsalted butter

6 eggs

1 c. sugar

3 tbsp. coffee liqueur

Preheat oven to 225 F. Butter a 10" springform pan, and line with parchment. Put chocolate in a large bowl. Heat butter and cream together in a saucepan just to a simmer, and pour over chocolate. Let sit 1 minute, and then whisk until smooth.

Whisk together eggs, sugar and liqueur and pour into chocolate mixture. Blend thoroughly. Pour into springform pan and bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hours until edges are set and center is still slightly soft. Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate overnight in pan before unmolding and cutting.

Eat. Moan with delight.



Christmas Dog

Is Santa still here?

No - but he brought exactly what she wanted.

OH - I cherish each and every one of your comments, but I would just like to register my astonishment that my last post, a post about the interior of my fridge, garnered more comments than anything else I have written here. I love you, but y'all are wierdos. Thank-you! I'm so relieved that it's not just me.

19 comments:

Skiplovey said...

Those desserts look delish! Wow, that's a ton of cooking, hope you're relaxing today.

Anonymous said...

As the recipient of the baked delights I have to say that everything was wonderful and when I woke up this morning 1/2 the leftover chocolate torte had disappeared. Apparently my house elves were hungry in the middle of the night.

Please come back in February with another one (I think it'll take that long to eat the Christmas leftovers).

Kellan said...

"Eat. Moan with delight" - that just says it all, doesn't it? Glad you had a good Christmas. I'll see you soon. Kellan

Karen MEG said...

Oh, can you please come over and bake for me??? That's a whole lotta work, girlfriend! Hope you're resting up today... and your little ones, what precious faces with their prezzies!!!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

2 things:

1. I WILL be making that torte.
2. I was NOT kidding about coming and cleaning out my fridge.

;-)

painted maypole said...

oh that badness! too cute! the princess, too, of course. and the dog. and the desserts. and...

Mrs. G. said...

Are you trying to kill me with that recipe. I'm trying to start my new year's diet over here!

My my, those kidlets are cute.

Laural Dawn said...

That looks soooo good! I'm going to try that recipe the next time there is an occasion!
I loved the looks on my son's face on Christmas morning when he saw what santa brought. too cute!

Momisodes said...

Wow... If only we were neighbors, we would have come drooling to your door :) Those looked amazing!...and your children were cute too ;)

Mary Alice said...

oh dear gawd that sounds gooooood. No wonder your name is Badness!

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I am full as well but it doesn't seem to be stopping me. I'm having a love /hate relationship with food.

Oh, I tagged you with a meme. If you have time...

Anonymous said...

*drools* Mmmmmm, they look delicious!

Minnesota Matron said...

Oh my -- I would feel like a lead belly too. But I must admit to copying that torte recipe,for my husband, who's the baker around here.

shay said...

I feel the tummy lead too lol. But it was worth every calorie!
I love Christmas.

Oh and there's no way I'm making that torte! I have to draw the line somewhere. I can't resist chocolate so I just have to not bring it into the house.

Don Mills Diva said...

Oh - I love your pictures. The desserts, the kids, the dog - just the very pictures of a perfect family Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

What fun! The kids faces in those pictures are just priceless. Aww. And, I so wish I enjoyed baking. ;)

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

Merry Christmas. Looks like a wonderful time and awesome food! I think I am done with rich foods for a while, but maybe I will make that at Easter. Looks so yummy!

ALF said...

Found your site from Tootsie Farklepants' - just stopped by to say hi!

Victoria said...

Yummy!! Oh, and are those matching pajamas I spy? I love me some kiddos in matching pajamas! (My Boy fought me on it this season. I won.)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!