I've been eating 1/3 cup for breakfast with 1/2 cup of yogurt. On Friday the Princess said to me, "You have to eat something else for breakfast! You ate that day after day after day after day! The next day you have to eat something else. Promise Mommy...." I was out, so I ate something different for the last 3 days, but tomorrow.....
Here's the original recipe - change it as you see fit. I made a fruitless version, just augmenting the amounts of the other ingredients a little, and added chopped crystallized ginger....mmm.....
2 cups oatmeal (I used 1c. oatmeal, and 1 c. spelt)
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
dash salt
dash vanilla extract
1/2 cup each chopped dried apricots, dried cherries and raisins
zest of one lemon or one orange
Preheat oven to 325 F. Combine oats, bran, sesame, coconut, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds in a big bowl.
Heat oil, honey, cinnamon , salt and vanilla in a small saucepan until blended and runny. Pour over oat mixture and combine well. Spread onto greased or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until rich golden brown. Remove from oven and stir in fruit and zest. Let cool, and break into pieces. Stores well in airtight container in pantry.
And here's a photo of the Princess with our latest Snow-girl.
And I've lost another pound!

17 comments:
I'm so glad she built another Snow...Person. Yay! Are you standing guard over this one? ;)
Congrats on another pound (go you!) and minus the nuts as I'm allergic, the granola sounds sooo good. I have to try that.
Thanks for that!
In our attempt to keep good food in our bellies and our crazy food budget down, we've stopped buying dry cereal. The kids are just about to stage a revolt and I just can't make waffles every am so....
Thanks. I'm going to try that!
Yummy! I need to make some and take it on trips with me, so I'll stop eating junk. Gah.
The snowgirl and your girl are cuties. =)
Is the new snow person steel-reinforced? Glad she got to make a new one! And congrats on the continued weight loss success!! (I need to get back on track with that...)
You have sooooo inspired me. I have determined to get serious about weight loss.
If I had snow, I would be out there with my kids. Although today we had hail, close, but no snowman.
I used to make granola at home. My kids chowed down on it and it usually disappeared in one day (3 teenage boys!). I believe I will give it another go. Yours looks extremely yummy.
IS that snow girls hair or just placed in front of the bushes strategically?
Forgive me... I live in Texas. Not much snowgirl makin' done here...
sounds divine - thanks for sharing .Yay on the pound lost. well done.
Yum. i am a granola freak too. I mix mine with 5 grain cereal and muslix in a big tin. My DH calls it horse food. What does he know?
Love snow girls hair!
congrats on the pound, you are rocking the weight loss. The granola sounds so yummy, I haven't made granola in like 8 years. I may just have to.
Homemade granola is definitely superior to the garbage sold at the grocery store. Your recipe looks great. And, I LOVE granola with plain yogurt.
Congrats on the lost pound. May you never find it.
opps and I forgot to say - YAY YOU! on the weight loss!
your granola looks good. I will definitely have to try that!
Oooo,that granola sounds great, and with yogurt, evern better!
I love the new snow girl, especially her hair:)
Sounds yum! And you go girl with the getting healthy.
I adore the snow girl. But on the granola, how in the world would I know what wheat bran is and where to find it. I’m more of a Honey Bunches of Oats kind of cereal girl.
Great picture...hope this one stays safe from the meanies.
I'm envious of all that weight you're shedding...and all those buffet meals I've been eating the last couple of days are.not.helping. Ack!
Heidi
I haven't had homemade granola or any other kind of granola since I was a kid. My mom used to make it all the time. Thanks for the recipe, I am totally going to make this for my kids this weekend
Post a Comment