Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hair-brained

I am not a complete girlie-girl. I like clothes and make-up, but I'm willing to leave the house wearing sweats with a bare face when pressed for time. I've recently realized, however, that in the past year or so I've let myself go. I was sitting in the bath on the weekend and noticed one of my hairs on the edge of the tub. I picked it up to throw it out, and then took a closer look. The top half of the hair was dark, and only the bottom was my familiar blonde! I counted back on my fingers - it had been almost 12 months since I'd last had highlights or a cut! My self-image is incredibly intertwined with the state of my hair. I don't mean that I'm one of those women who spends hours styling and straightening their hair each morning, but despite numerous experiments with cuts and dye over the years, I always come back to the same look. I have long, blonde, curly hair. It has darkened somewhat over the years, hence the need for highlights, but is still firmly in the blonde camp. I don't necessarily look bad with a different colour or cut, I just don't think that I look like me.

Hubs and I had the most fun wedding. Ever. Seriously - ask anyone there. We had a big white tent put up in our backyard. We hired a fabulous dj and turned the stone patio Hubs had just put in into a dance floor. We spent most of our money on booze (the bartender from Hubs' rugby pub volunteered to tend bar for free, of course he ended up taking home one of my single friends, arguably the hottest girl at the wedding, so he made out alright) and the most fabulous caterer. We had the perfect August day, and all our guests came casual and relaxed. The minister was almost 2 hours late (we inadvertantly scheduled our wedding for the same weekend as Taste of the Danforth, despite living right around the corner) but it didn't matter. We opened the bar, the caterers brought out delicious hors d'oeurves, and the dj played some tunes. It was almost a shame to interrupt the party for the ceremony.

But here's the thing. You will never see a photo of our wedding. We didn't hire a professional photographer, but we have hundreds and hundreds of shots taken by our guests. Hubs regrets not hiring a professional, and although I nod my head along with him, I am secretly thrilled that we didn't. I hate all of the wedding photos. I had terrible hair. At the time of our wedding I was growing out a really short haircut, and some red hair dye. My hairdresser tried to make it blonde for me, and it helped, but it still wasn't right. In retrospect, I should have put the wedding off for a year until my hair was right. Still, best party ever.

I made it to my hairdresser on Tuesday. She had a good laugh at the state of my coiffure, and my state of panic, but she made me a blonde bombshell once again. Gentlemen may not prefer blondes, and blondes may not really have more fun, but I prefer ME blonde, and I fully expect to have a lot more fun now that my hair is as it should be once again.

16 comments:

Tootsie Farklepants said...

Can I just go on record as saying that I think it's terribly sweet that romance took precedence over hair?

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I'm glad you had some You Time and got your hair back to the way you like it!

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

OOh! I want to see a pic of your hair. then I can live vicariously through you. It has been many months since I have had mine done. wah.
Your wedding sounds like a blast, even with your hair being off;)

Family Adventure said...

So that's where you've been -- at the hair dresser's!! :)

Are we going to see pictures?!

Heidi

dawn224 said...

oh c'mon show us pictures...

Badness Jones said...

I tried to take a self-portrait for this post when I got home, but I couldn't get the lighting right. I went skating with the Princess's class this morning, so right now it's in the pigtails I wore under my toque. I'll try to get Hubs to take a photo this weekend....

familymclean said...

I like me as a blonde too, I just feel more like me this way too, and if my hair has bad roots I just feel frumpy all over, weird how hair affects us!
I want to see a pic too:)
And your wedding story, too funny!

LD said...

I can so relate to this. I don't spend hours on my hair, but it is really important to my sense of self.
My stylist laughs at me too sometimes. I can't afford the big bucks to see him every 6 months. And, I have a huge crush on him, so I always stress about what I'll wear.
Last time I was there I told him I was pregnant. His receptionist asked if I'd be booking an appointment before I gave birth. He and I both laughed.
I just said "trust me, you guys won't see me waddling in here."
It's hard being a girl!

Mrs. G. said...

No one understands the importance of hair more than me. Congrats on a good do.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I didn't have a pro photographer either.

And can I see a pic of your hair? I envy people with long hair and curls. I have medium length wavy hair. And its too thick to straighten. Ugh.

And btw, interrupting your party for a cermony? You guys ROCK.

chichimama said...

Pics! Pics!

I am getting mine done tomorrow and I am sooooo excited. Just the pick me up I need...

Karen MEG said...

The hair's one of the first things to go once you've got kids. Mind you I only started to really colour mine because I HAD to once I had G. Now I'm always on the lookout for strays... it's tough being brunette. So wish I could do the blonde thing.
Glad you got the me time in.
Need. Pix.

Anonymous said...

I bet you feel great now!

Karen MEG said...

PS, pop by to pick up some bling!

Don Mills Diva said...

We have a lot in common - I just relaized that it has been 12 months since I have had a decent cut and colour too AND our wedding was a helluva party!

E said...

Hair can be soemhow much more than just hair. I live in Vermont and drive to CANADA to get my hair done. It is completely crazy and it also makes me completely happy.
Enjoy the blond, take pictures...